This question comes up a lot – in various conversations both in and out of work:

A construction-related degree is useful but not essential. This can be studied full-time or part-time alongside working in the role and many companies also offer ‘sandwich year’ experience for those studying full time.

Post degree chartership with the RICS is often encouraged and widely regarded as the gold standard of property and construction industry professionals. However, alternative professional memberships are also widely sought such as CIOB and are common with contracting Quantity Surveyors.

There are also two sides to the job:

Consultant client-side QS (PQS or Professional QS):
Working with the client, the PQS evaluates and provides skills & advice as to what needs to be done in terms of the contractual and financial aspects of a project.

Contractors’ QS:
Working with the contractor to price the tenders from the PQS, check contracts and sublet works to subcontractors & suppliers.

Both QS’ will often meet during the lifecycle of a project to meet their own client’s objectives and needs…this is why you always want a QS working on your side!